Laser Teeth Whitening
Laser Teeth Whitening is one of the most advanced and effective tooth whitening methods used today. Since its introduction in modern cosmetic dentistry, in 1996, laser tooth whitening systems offer outstanding results in a safe way and in minimum time. Teeth whitening treatment has become the most common form of cosmetic dentistry performed.
What is Laser Teeth Whitening
There are several different tooth whitening products in the market for you to choose from, depending on the amount of money you want to spend, and the quality of the results that you demand.
You can choose from tooth whitening gels and whitening toothpastes, bleaching strips, tray-based at-home or professional bleaching systems and finally laser teeth whitening.
Of all these different types of alternatives. laser teeth whitening is considered the 'top of the line' treatment for bright smile and white teeth. Laser tooth whitening is the fastest and safer way to whiten your teeth, but it's also the most expensive.
How Laser Teeth Whitening works?
Bleaching is a procedure that is based on breaking the large light absorbing molecules in the tooth structures (that we see as stains), into smaller molecules that do not absorb the light. This causes a greater level of reflection, and therefore teeth look whiter. This reaction is started by the bleaching agent. The hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) reacts with light and oxygen to form at first hydroxyl radicals (OH) and finally water (H2O) and free oxygen radical (O).
The free radicals produced by the reaction penetrate the tooth structure and break down stains into progressively smaller particles by rapid oxidation. The conversion of hydrogen peroxide to free radicals can be accelerated by exposure to light of certain wavelengths, basically from about 400 to 560 nanometers. That is the role of the laser in the teeth whitening process.
The procedure of Laser Teeth Whitening
The bleaching compound contains a high concentration of peroxide (15-50%) and so the dentist will usually place some form of protection around the gums so that only the teeth are exposed to the compound. The whitening gel is then applied to the surface of the teeth and exposed to a laser light for approximately 1 hour, which activates it and speeds up the whole process making the whitening more effective.
The laser teeth whitening procedure is based on the use of peroxide gel that is applied to teeth, with the addition of a laser light which is used to activate the bleaching agent and accelerate the peroxide’s reaction with tooth stains.
Advantages of Laser Teeth Whitening
- A single one hour appointment is usually all that is needed for laser teeth whitening to offer you a bright smile. The outcome is beautiful and the investment in time is minimal.
- In just one appointment the teeth can lighten by 5-10 shades.
- Laser tooth whitening can whiten deeply stained teeth, removing even the more difficult stains below the tooth’s surface like those caused by tetracycline more effectively than any other whitening method.
- Lasers can be focused on a very specific area targeting only the tooth surfaces and not the gums, avoiding gum irritation which is a common problem with other whitening methods.
- Results of laser tooth whitening treatment last for a minimum of two years, much more than other methods.
Disadvantages of Laser Teeth Whitening
- Laser tooth whitening is the most expensive whitening procedure.
- The change in the color of teeth after the laser teeth whitening from yellowish to bright white will be very sudden so it will be obvious that you have received treatment.
Cost of Laser Teeth Whitening treatment
As in most of the dental procedures, the cost of laser teeth whitening treatment may vary depending upon the country or area of the country you live in. The average cost of laser tooth whitening is estimated at about $1000, almost double of the cost for a professional tray tooth whitening treatment. Laser whitening is the top whitening procedure today, so it is expected to pay it at a premium price. But if time is an issue for you, the savings in time if you choose the laser teeth whitening may worth the higher cost.
Laser teeth whitening is the most modern bleaching method that can offer you the Hollywood smile you always dreamed of.
If you want to improve your smile’s appearance you should first visit a cosmetic dentist for consultation. Cosmetic dentists have the expertise to analyze your cosmetic needs, and propose a complete plan of cosmetic dental procedures that will best fit your expectations and finances.